Monday 21 February 2011

Vintage finds

I have recently noticed on twitter that a group of people have been blogging about their vintage and charity shop finds, and linking up as a Magpie Monday post. So I thought I would join in as this is one of my passions, and will start off this week with a couple of very small, cheap items that I have come across.


I have been looking out for various transfer printed plates in different colours for a long time now, I personally love the way food looks when displayed on them. So far I have only found one that I really like as vintage transfer plates seem to be very popular where I live and the charity shops very rarely have any in. The above plate was just 50p and not really that vintage but it is well liked here.



It has a frontier picture on the front and my daughter loves looking for the horses and cows in the scene, the above photograph is of the stamp on the back of the plate, appears to be American.


These candlesticks I originally saw and dismissed I'm ashamed to say, as they are not quite a matching pair I know that sounds so bad! After returning home, I realised my mistake and my lovely husband offered to go back to the charity shop and purchase them for me, luckily they were still there. They cost 80p for the pair, what a bargain! The slight differences are not really noticeable as they sit one at each end of the mantelpiece.


This little posy vase cost just 50p again and really wouldn't look out of place in many of the modern colour schemes, it reminds me of an owl for some reason, which is probably why I like it. It is hard to see from the photographs but the top colour almost has a texture to it.


 This is the bottom of the vase... I guess it comes from Devon!

Well that is an introduction to some of my stuff... what do you think?







The link up is over at the above blog, me and my shadow by missielizzie.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your finds.

    Pretty plates are great arent they, but like you say getting harder to come by. I think the trend for mis-matched dinner services is to blame!

    Love the candlesticks too - are they solid wood? Hard to tell from photos, but at 80p, wow what a steal! I can't tell they don't match :0)

    Thanks so much for linking up xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, yes the candlesticks are solid wood, I do mostly forget they don't match :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely things and I just love those candle sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful finds i love the little posy vase :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to look really hard to 'Spot the Difference' xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOH! I love your finds, the candlesticks are wonderful. I often pass over items only to think later, wish I had bought that. So lucky they were still there and what a find at 80p !

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank-you for reading and your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how we are all appreciating the old, the vintage and the preloved and helping charity at the same time.
    My charity shop haul is over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com
    Love your plate and always fascinated by the marks on pottery

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice finds, I especially like that plate.

    I've been getting amazing value for money out of my Bertrand Russel book over the past week or so - hard to believe it only cost me £2.50.
    Sweet.

    Candlesticks are lovely, but I'd consider sanding then carving a bunch of runes into them ;)

    ReplyDelete